[nycphp-talk] Friendly URLS... The easy way!

Marc Antony Vose suzerain at suzerain.com
Mon Aug 6 23:47:01 EDT 2007

Hi there:

I've noticed a lot of web sites using this technique.  I know this
stuff always changes, but one potential caveat:  the last I knew,
search engines were either ignoring or ranking down anything after
the xxxx.php in the URL when people use this structure.

Meaning, essentially,

http://www.something.com/script.php/some/other/thing

is not as good as

http://www.something.com/script/some/other/thing

from Google's point of view.

So, easier, yes, but it might give you some unwanted side effects.
Again, this information might have changed, or even might have been
wrong in the first place, but since mod_rewrite is so dead simple to
use, IMO it's not worth the risk.

Maybe someone else can either clarify or refute my claim.

Cheers,

Marc
http://www.suzerain.com