[nycphp-talk] Many pages: one script

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Wed Aug 8 10:41:32 EDT 2007

Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Kenneth Downs wrote:
>
>> Not a chance.  There is no such thing as a native XML database and
>> there never will be because XML is a file format (oops, data format),
>> and an extremely inefficient one at that.  To have a native database
>> you need a data model.  XML uses the hierarchical model and if you're
>> going to build a native hierarchical database you sure wouldn't use
>> the wasteful XML format internally to store the data.
>>
>> And if you insist on using XML just because its so wonderful to use
>> 17 characters to store the state <STATE>NY</STATE>, it will never be
>> able to compete with even the most immature relational engines for
>> pure speed.  Maybe on example and toy sites, but never for anything
>> that needs to scale.
>>
>> If I'm wrong, dinner's on me.
>>

> Which part do you have to be wrong about for me to get a free dinner?
> I can already give you several existence proofs demonstrating that
> there is such a thing as a native XML database:
>
> http://www.marklogic.com/
> http://exist.sourceforge.net/

A sourceforge project does not a phenomenon make.  I guess when the
banks and airlines have our data in the XML files, and I don't mean a
few hybrid patchwork examples, I mean the hardcore permanent long-term
stuff as well as the transactional support for the reservations we're
making all day.  When that happens, we'll start picking the restaurants.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.