[nycphp-talk] fgetcsv and German characters

Stephen Musgrave stephen at capellic.com
Tue Aug 14 10:01:37 EDT 2007

Oh, how I love character encoding problems!  ;-)

I have a file upload utility whereby the user uploads a CSV
document.  The file is saved to a temporary folder.  I open that
document, use fgetcsv() to pull the values and then insert them into
a database.

The problem is that German characters such as ü and ä are being
translated to Ÿ and Š respectively when I echo the values to the
browser and when inserted into the DB.  I wrote the values to the
error log and they come out to \x9f and \x8a respectively.

I learned that I should use the setlocale() function for German:

	$loc_de = setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de_DE');

But that didn't do anything for me.  I even tried as shown in the
example for setlocale() on php.net:

	$loc_de = setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de_DE at euro', 'de_DE', 'de', 'ge');

When I echo $loc_de, both say "de_DE" as expected, but it doesn't fix
my import problem.

I've checked the uploaded file contents and it looks fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen