[nycphp-talk] fgetcsv and German characters

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:03:48 EDT 2007

> Is there any way to tell what the encoding is from within Excel?  (I
> didn't see anything in Excel and Google didn't have anything to
> offer.)  I have the original Excel file.

You will never be able to figure out what is going on from within
Excel.  Microsoft uses a lot of character set conversion/autodetection
magic across their products (heuristic determination of character
set).  You need to open the csv with a text editor that let's you
change the display encoding.  Once you know what the source encoding
is, and the destination encoding you want, you can use
mb_convert_encoding() in most cases.

I did some searching and \x9f and \x8a represent Ÿ and Š in MS-1252.