[nycphp-talk] XML Manipulation

Mark Armendariz lists at enobrev.com
Fri Aug 17 13:33:40 EDT 2007

csnyder wrote:
> On 8/16/07, Dan Cech <dcech at phpwerx.net> wrote:
>
>> If you're looking for ideas, here is a proof-of-concept I put together
>> back in 2004 for a system using a modified preorder traversal tree for
>> threaded messages.
>>
>> http://clew.phpwerx.net/
> he nice thing about using some sort of tree (we called it a
> nested-set model) for messages is that you get true threading--this is
> a reply to that--rather than just a flat chronological list of
> replies.
>
> Very often, people just want the flat list as it is easier to follow.

Nested-set grows rather hairy in no time, especially with data that
needs to be changed often.  After some reading (thanks to Elliotte's
compass - thank you sir), it seems to me XML could definitely prove a
better means of tracking hierarchal information, which especially
includes threaded conversation.  It seems to me that flattening tree
data is far easier than branching flat data (and meta fields in my rel
db makes me queasy).

Mark