[nycphp-talk] Webserver file access (and version control)

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 15:45:59 EDT 2007

On 8/18/07, Cliff Hirsch <cliff at pinestream.com> wrote:

> Are there any issues related to having the version control hidden files and
> folders on a production site? Does the Subversion .svn folder need to be
> protected on a production site? Is the best practice to do ongoing updates
> on a production site using version control or to export  specific tagged
> versions to a production site (which would remove al the version control
> specific hidden files)?

Hey, nice catch Cliff.

<DirectoryMatch "^/.*/\.svn">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</DirectoryMatch>

Convenience over security can come back to bite you, I guess.

To reiterate the point, if you use subversion to manage web
directories, you need to make sure that the .svn metadata will not be
served by apache.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/