[nycphp-talk] Ideas on how to speed up search process

Nelly Yusupova nelly at cgim.com
Mon Aug 20 22:40:35 EDT 2007

Hello Everyone,

I have a table that contains about 40,000 rows of job posting data.   There
is a script that allows users to search for jobs using numerous search
criteria.  Because of all the criteria, the search process is very slow...an
average query takes about 10 seconds to display in a browser, which is way
too long.

I tried optimizing the queries and indexed the table, which is very hard
because of all the search criteria.

I'm trying to figure out a solution to speed up the searching process.  One
idea that I have is to create an XML document of all of the job posts and
write a search script that searches the XML document.   I'm not even sure if
this is possible as I haven't found any information about it on the web.
Has anyone tried to do this? Does anyone have any examples/resources of
search scripts that search XML documents?

Does anyone have any other ideas about speeding up the search process?

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
Nelly Yusupova
DigitalWoman.com