[nycphp-talk] Ideas on how to speed up search process

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Tue Aug 21 20:18:21 EDT 2007

On Mon, Aug 20, 2007 at 10:40:35PM -0400, Nelly Yusupova wrote:

> I have a table that contains about 40,000 rows of job posting data.
... snip ...
> average query takes about 10 seconds to display in a browser, which is way
> too long.

40k rows is small.  Searching is what databases excel at.  Using XML is
crazy.

Use the EXPLAIN / DESCRIBE query keywords to get some very useful
information.

Also read up on how indexes work in the DBMS you're using.  The MySQL
manual has a very good section on it, for example.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/