[nycphp-talk] Frameworks - Which best fits my development style?

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyLine) ben at projectskyline.com
Wed Aug 22 12:53:20 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I know there has been a ton of discussion about frameworks.

So far, I've looked into:
1) Cake
2) Zend
3) Joomla
4) Symfony
5) Drupal

I've looked at tutorials, books and online how-tos'. Let me explain my development environment.

I use smarty templates for all my HTML.  My php is 5w/OOP. I have many libraries from everything
from database access, sitemap creation, html (textboxes, drop downs), simple ajax, error logging,
session handling, (all created by myself) and I use PEAR SOMETIMES as to not reinvent the wheel
for a single project. When I design sites & applications, I have an index.php and pass "actions=WHATEVER"
on the URL to change the action of the program. I dont use seperate files for different things EXCEPT for all the libs
and auxiliary functions. I use SVN for revision control.

I guess I don't see the compelling reason to switch to a framework. Will it really speed up my development
time, even if I have all these libs (and still expanding) already created?

The JSON stuff looks cool, but I dont use that much js and if I do, I just write it myself.

Applications I build are powered by PHP/MYSQL, HTML/CSS. There are forms to fillout, emailing, login,
account creation, etc. Some are more complicated than others.

Maybe I could use one framework for making simple websites, and another for applications?

I'm really looking for success stories or terros from switching from no framework to using one,
which one, how long it took to be effecient with it, how easy it was to expand/modify, the
userbase and user support, scalability, ease of use, organization of codebase, etc. Also,
I LOVE books, so any that have good paperback book or white paper/tutorials is a BIG plus.

Any feedback is helpful, and please provide pros/cons.

Thanks so much!

- Ben

Ben Sgro, Chief Engineer
ProjectSkyLine - Defining New Horizons

Our company: www.projectskyline.com
Our products: www.project-contact.com

This e-mail is confidential information intended only for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed.