[nycphp-talk] how did you learn php?

Adrian Noland anoland at indigente.net
Mon Aug 27 10:32:59 EDT 2007

On 8/26/07, Anthony <speel3k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, i'm kinda new around here and just tinkering around with php. My
> question to you guys is how did you learn? by reading or by taking apart
> scripts and adding your own style or what? I'm very curious.

The first place to start is the PHP manual. Definitely read the first 5
chapters all the way through.

Here are a couple more sites that I have used extensively in the past.
http://phpbuilder.com/columns/
http://melonfire.com/community/columns/trog/archives.php?category=PHP

Remember, there are a lot of articles and code that were written for PHP4
that will look and act different for PHP5. Also running v.4 on a v.5 server
could open you up to security vulnerabilities. Make sure you concentrate on
recognizing the differences. http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.migration5.php