[nycphp-talk] MySQL/Flash/Apostrophe issue

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Fri Dec 7 14:41:00 EST 2007

Thanks Ken, so what you're saying is there is no way to do this
without going into the .swf file itself.

By the way --

$caption = str_replace("'", "'", $caption)

yields record in database of

A Reporter's Life

Displays in Flash applet as

A Reporter's Life

(it's encoding the & apparently).

> Quoting Kristina Anderson <ka at kacomputerconsulting.com>:
>
> > Yes it's definitely a flash issue.  I will replace the apostrophes
in
> > the strings with &#39; before database insert and let you know how
> > that works!
>
> Don't replace the single quotes in the database. Use the
> htmlentities() function on the output with the ENT_QUOTES option.
This
> will replace the quotes (and other symbols) with the
appropriate "&"