[nycphp-talk] Encrypting/Decrypting data w/php

Ben Sgro ben at projectskyline.com
Mon Dec 10 16:50:05 EST 2007

Hello,

Just to clarify, when I say "session" I don't mean "session" data. Just
a previous "session" of work
performed by the user. I want to save their settings.

This is a tool for company use only, specifically debugging/QA and is CL
driven.

Now to answer your other questions:

Nick Galbreath wrote:

> Hi, I'm the speaker from last week's NYPHP talk on cryptography.
>
> 1) SLIDES
>
> Sorry for delay.  I will be posting my slides shortly!  I've been
> reworking them and getting source code online.  I will post here when
> they are up.
>

> 2) ENCRYPTED SESSIONS
>

> Most importantly, before any technical questions is "what threats are
> you trying model"?  and what type of data are you trying to protect?
>  (I ask since certain data, i.e. such as credit cards, have certain
> standards).  For example:
>

> 1) hacker "breaks in" and scans session data for ???
Username/Logins - This would be the most valuable data in the xml file.
> 2) hacker scans network traffic from database to php-app to get ???
It doesn't provide a web interface. And the XML wouldn't be served by
HTTP. This wouldn't be in web root.
> 3) hacker hijacks session and takes over another account
I wouldn't think so. Unless they hijack a tty. But honestly, if they
have root on the box we have other problems.

> etc etc...
>

> Then there are some product questions:
>
> 1) Do you have "user database" or are these just anonymous sessions?
Work sessions.
> 2) Is _all_ data in the session sensitive?   Do you want an encrypted
> XML file or an XML file with encrypted data?  And why?
No. Just the username/password.
> 3) How much data per user per session is expected?
Not that much. 20k?
> 4) What is anticipated volume/growth of the website?
CL App.
> 5) Is this data, _just_ going to live in session?  It's never going
> into a database or other file?  If not how do we protect those items?
Nope.
> 6) Do you need password recovery?  Or what if the user forgets the
> password the data is gone?
They'd have to create a new "session".
> 7) How are you currently storing session data (are sessions sticky to
> a machine? or are sessions on a separate box)
Local.