[nycphp-talk] Do you use Pretty URLs

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Wed Dec 12 00:11:41 EST 2007

Cliff Hirsch cliff-at-pinestream.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>>>So...how many of you use ³pretty urls²? If you do, how do you do it? With a
>>>Framework (Cake, Symphony, Zend, etc.) that you are using? Rolled your own?
>>>Via php or mod_rewrite? Thoughts and ideas for introducing pretty urls into
>>>an existing application (i.e. can¹t jump into a new Framework for a legacy
>>>app)?
>>>

>>Perhaps it would be better to say its a legacy app up front so people
>>don't waste time posting about routing in frameworks like symfony...?
>>
>>I would imagine mod_rewrite rules are probably your best bet.
>>

>Good point. LEGACY APPLICATION. Many of us don't have the luxury of
>completely porting an existing application to a modern framework, but do
>have the wherewithal to potentially bolt in a pretty url module or parts of
>a front-end controller.

Of course I may be surprised by how advanced some of you are, but from
where I sit, even the new apps on the new frameworks suffer from the
same routing issues.

If anyone is enjoying reliable, manageable, strict and pretty URLs on
one of the "modern frameworks" I'd like to hear about it. That means
content level control of "pretty" URLs, ability to manage redirection
(at the content level), and enforced one-URL-per-document.

At this point I'm all in favor of a neutral bolt-on rewrite router.