[nycphp-talk] Do you use Pretty URLs

Guilherme Blanco guilhermeblanco at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 12:29:43 EST 2007

The simples way to achieve nifty URLs is using a ForceType directive.

For example... you create a file named 'app' and fill this file with
php code. It'll not be executed.
Then you do the trick and ForceType this file to be interpreted by PHP:

<Files app>
        ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</Files>

Now it'll execute the source you defined there.

To handle URLs like: http://www.domain.com/app/controller/action/arg1/arg2

You need to explode the URL you have:

// URL Exploding
$address = explode( $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'], $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] );
$address_exp = array();

// Parsing URL pieces
if ( isset( $address[1] ) ) {
	$address_exp = explode( '/', $address[1] );

	// Removing blank index
	array_shift( $address_exp );
}

Now you have $address_exp with the pieces you want.
In my framework, I used this way:

Controller1/SubController1_1/.../Action/arg_name,arg_value/arg_array,arg_value1,arg_value2,...

This can be easily achieved using some PHP.

Now just open your imagination and you can create Search Engine
Friendly URLs. Just remember that SE Spiders does not like ?, & and
other weird characters on URL.

If you have any other question, do not hesitate to send messages in this thread.

Regards,