[nycphp-talk] gettext help

John Campbell jcampbell1 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 01:13:12 EST 2007

>  but € is fine.

I don't have one of those on my keyboard... You might want to pick
something that is in 7-bit ascii to avoid character set problems.  T()
seems like a good name.

It is unfortunate that you are giving up on gettext.  I am sure your
solution will work, but I think in the long run it is going to be
extra effort because the function now has 3 parameters rather than
one.  You also don't need to bother testing performance on
200x300=60kb of data.  No matter what you do, it will be fast.  Once
you have 1Mb of data, then there will start to be a difference because
gettext will use 1Mb of memory per language, and your solution will
write 1Mb to memory every request.  Btw, how are you testing
performance?  Pure php, ab, or something else?

Cheers,
John Campbell