[nycphp-talk] Method overloading

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Mon Dec 17 15:39:13 EST 2007

John Zabroski wrote:
> --- Kenneth Downs <ken at secdat.com> wrote:
>
>> Overloading is a requirement for strongly typed
>> languages, since PHP is
>> not strongly typed it can get by without it.  I also
>> find PHP's loose
>> typing far more appropriate to its role as a string
>> generator (sql,
>> HTML), and appreciate its default values as part of
>> its entire
>> philosophy of flexibility.
>
> To be quite honest, overloading is rarely ever
> necessary even in a language with static types.

Overloading in C++ can be useful to 'line up' your
classes so that you can use them in templates

But since we're discussing PHP, I would say
that you couldn't be any more right --
especially about the 'smelly code'

[snip]

--

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com