[nycphp-talk] static variable variable?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 22:13:24 EST 2007

I have a bunch of subclasses that define a static varible that I need
to access in the parent class. So I'm trying something like:

$_staticvarname = get_class($this) . '::$_staticvar';
print_r($$_staticvarname);

But this doesn't work. I just get:

  Undefined variable: Sublcass::$_staticvar

If I do:

  print_r(Subclass::$_staticvar)

it works so I know it's just an evaluation issue.

I can't use const because the variable is an array. I don't want to
hardcode the subclass name in the parent class and I want to use a
static variable reasoning that it uses less memory.

Is there any way to do this?

Mike

--
Michael B Allen