[nycphp-talk] capricious submission of forms

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 18:08:51 EST 2007

On 2/12/07, Rolan Yang <rolan at omnistep.com> wrote:
> Ok, here's a totally off the wall idea to help thwart the robots from
> even getting into the submission script. It is complex though:
>
> 1. You create a encrypted string based on a secret key combined with
> something like the current datetime, then split it in half.
> [etc]

While no doubt effective, that's a lot of work, and by no means
invulnerable. I'm pretty sure it could be defeated using Firefox + a
Greasemonkey script.

It could also be defeated using offshore labor, which we might see
more of in the next few years. How many comments-per-hour can be
submitted by a worker in China making $10/day? How many more if the
worker knows Javascript?

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/