[nycphp-talk] Best practice for escaping data

Randal Rust randalrust at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 20:04:47 EST 2007

On 2/15/07, Chris Shiflett <shiflett at php.net> wrote:

> I'm wondering if you use it for completely free-form data, where you
> don't have any particular rules that you can enforce.

Yes, that's what I use it for. Particular fields that I pass through
it are headline, subheadline, description -- basic fields for a news
article.

> You mentioned other functions for specific types of input.

Here is an example:

	function validateNumeric($value){
		$value=trim($value);
		$pass=preg_match('/^[0-9]+$/', $value);
		return $pass;
		}

And this one, which uses some things I picked up from your book:

	function validateAlpha($value){
		$value=trim($value);
		if(empty($value)){
			$pass=false;
			}
		elseif(!empty($value)){
			//$pass=preg_match('/^[a-zA-Z-]+$/', $value);
			$pass=ctype_alpha($value);
			}
		return $pass;
		}