[nycphp-talk] Encoding help?

CED Consult at CovenantEDesign.com
Thu Feb 22 09:07:27 EST 2007

What is wrong with <LocalityName>Montréal</LocalityName> ? It looks properly formatted.

I believe that error is from the doc not being declared correctly in the header. If that's the case, edit the reponse and insert a header like:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
And make sure it's at line 1

HTH,

Edward JS Prevost II
Me at EdwardPrevost.info
www.EdwardPrevost.info

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joseph Crawford
  To: NYPHP Talk
  Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:22 AM
  Subject: [nycphp-talk] Encoding help?

  Guys i am trying to consume the Google maps API and when i pass it an address in Montreal QC i get the follwoing error

  Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [ function.SimpleXMLElement---construct]: Entity: line 1: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding ! Bytes: 0xE9 0x61 0x6C 0x2C in /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/eremaps/import.php on line 41

  the issue is that Google is returning this in the XML response

  <LocalityName>Montréal</LocalityName>

  I am guessing it is throwing something off with the SimpleXML object?  How can i make it handle this?

  Thanks,
  --
  Joseph Crawford Jr.
  Zend Certified Engineer