[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on using JavaScript with no progressive fall-back

Cliff Hirsch cliff at pinestream.com
Mon Feb 26 09:26:30 EST 2007

I¹m seeing more and more applications that simply do not work if JavaScript
is turned off. In fact, I¹m looking at purchasing a slick shopping cart that
seems great, but I think the lack of progressive fallback is a show stopper.

Whatever happened to building a robust PHP application and only then
layering on the client-side enhancements? To me this lack of progressive
fall-back is just laziness, arrogance, or the victim of the usual time
pressures. This isn¹t an opinionated group ‹ right?! So I curious to here
what others think.

Are there any data sources that measure what browsers people are using today
and what percentage of people turn JS off or don¹t have it?

Cliff