[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on using JavaScript with no progressive fall-back

Mark Withington mwithington at PLMresearch.com
Mon Feb 26 10:08:19 EST 2007

I agree.  With absolutely no data to back this up, I bet any "serious"
web user has JavaScript on and probably [relatively] up-to-date on
their browser version.  So, like the proverbial Willy Sutton reply,
[Why do you rob banks, Willy?] "Cause that's where the money is"

Why do we write code with no progressive fall-back? "Cause that's
where the money is"

On 2/26/07, Kenneth Downs <ken at secdat.com> wrote:

>  Cliff Hirsch wrote:
>  I'm seeing more and more applications that simply do not work if JavaScript
> is turned off. In fact, I'm looking at purchasing a slick shopping cart that
> seems great, but I think the lack of progressive fallback is a show stopper.
>
>  Whatever happened to building a robust PHP application and only then
> layering on the client-side enhancements? To me this lack of progressive
> fall-back is just laziness, arrogance, or the victim of the usual time
> pressures. This isn't an opinionated group — right?! So I curious to here
> what others think.
>
>  It's probably just market trends.  Fewer and fewer people have Javascript
> turned off (or so it is perceived), and so they are less and less of a
> constituency.  At some point a person says, why am I bothering with this
> for? Or, how far back to I have to remain compatible? Then a lot of people
> say that, and suddenly Javascript is required.
>

>  Are there any data sources that measure what browsers people are using
> today and what percentage of people turn JS off or don't have it?
>
>  Cliff ________________________________

> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

>  --
> Kenneth Downs
> Secure Data Software, Inc.
> www.secdat.com / www.andromeda-project.org
> Office: 631-689-7200 Cell: 631-379-0010
>
> ::Think you may have a problem with programming? Ask yourself this
> ::question: do you worry about how to throw away a garbage can?

> NYPHPCon 2006 Presentations Online
> http://www.nyphpcon.com

Mark

--------------------------