[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on using JavaScript with no progressive fall-back

Brian Dailey support at dailytechnology.net
Mon Feb 26 10:14:04 EST 2007

I have a split opinion on this.

I've set up a lot of applications where javascript really was required
for some things that I wanted to do. Sometimes it really just isn't an
option. However, I think it's good practice to at least *warn* the user
that javascript is required. This is really true for applications
developed for a niche - a small group of users that you have some
measure of control over.

On the other hand, for applications developed for the public in general,
I try to make it was friendly as possible for those who choose to
disable Javascript (the only people that seem to do this these days are
Firefox users who are trying to avoid annoying ads).

I myself haven't seen any statistics on Javascript usage - all I've
heard has been anecdotal. I'd be curious to see some stats as well.

- Brian