[nycphp-talk] Thoughts on using JavaScript with no progressive fall-back

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Feb 26 17:12:12 EST 2007

Cliff Hirsch cliff-at-pinestream.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

> I’m seeing more and more applications that simply do not work if
> JavaScript is turned off. In fact, I’m looking at purchasing a slick
> shopping cart that seems great, but I think the lack of progressive
> fallback is a show stopper.
>
> Whatever happened to building a robust PHP application and only then
> layering on the client-side enhancements? To me this lack of
> progressive fall-back is just laziness, arrogance, or the victim of
> the usual time pressures. This isn’t an opinionated group — right?! So
> I curious to here what others think.
>
> Are there any data sources that measure what browsers people are using
> today and what percentage of people turn JS off or don’t have it?
>
> Cliff

Every time my CSS-based competitive web stuff gets compared to other
offerings, my first response is to show the client what happens with js
turned off. EVERY SINGLE TIME SO FAR that has been all I needed to do to
make my case.

A web app that stupid is a showstopper once exposed. I say leave let
them keep making pretty designs that don't work. It's where I live.

-=john andrews
SEO & competitive webmaster blogging at www.johnon.com