[nycphp-talk] Ownership of Code

Thu Jan 11 19:00:05 EST 2007

On 1/11/07, Dell Sala <dell at sala.ca> wrote:
> My own position on this as a freelance developer (never really
> discussed or documented in contracts), has been that any code I
> write, or open source code that I install for a client belongs to the
> client -- as long as I can reuse the same code that I write for other
> projects and clients. Thats a pretty loose position, but my

Just for clarity purposes, there are *licenses* and *copyrights* and
they are fundamentally different things.  A license are terms under
which you use or grant usage of a copyrighted work.  If you give
someone a *license*, they are bound to the terms of the license, but
they don't necessarily have any copyright (ownership) of the material.

All licenses - GPL, BSD, MPL, or the screwiest EULA you've ever read -
are based on the principles of copyright.  If you grant ownership of
something to someone, they can do whatever they want with it and
determine their own license.

keith

--
D. Keith Casey Jr.