[nycphp-talk] Shortcut key for a web form.

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Thu Jan 11 21:18:58 EST 2007

P Yurt wrote:
> I would like to make a shortcut key for an existing form.
>
> How can I map a "shortcut key" to a button?  I.E. I would like
> to be able to
> press "ALT-S" or "ALT ENTER" and have my "SEND" button actions
> occur...

The accesskey property of an HTML tag can be very useful.  We use them
for common buttons.  On Firefox and IE the user hits "ALT" plus the key.

I've found a few annoyances.

First, numbers are funky because Firefox uses them to switch tabs.

Also, I recall some trouble with overlapping definitions in IE that did
not do what we wanted.  In firefox if you redefine a system hotkey you
win, in IE I believe IE wins, so you get inconsistent behavior.

The worst crock I ever saw was when I asked for keyboard operation from
somebody (when I was on the other side of the desk) and this clown came
up with this idea that we'd hit ESC and then a key.  He made his
programmer work very hard to get it going, which was a shame of course
because it was useless.