[nycphp-talk] more on shopping carts...

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jan 18 00:57:57 EST 2007

I am involved in two conversations about a shopping solution, and it is
interesting to check existing sites that have good-loking solutions in
place and see them fail. I mean, if it fails when I pull it up impromptu
during a discussion when someone has noted it as a
famous/popular/well-done site, what does that say?

*type* Exception report
*message
description* _The server encountered an internal error () that prevented
it from fulfilling this request._
*exception*Cannot get instance of the basket Nested Exception: Could not
activate; failed to restore state; CausedByException is:
 /usr/local/jboss402/server/NetAPorter/tmp/sessions/BasketBean-ex2h22sx-3/ex2rdavt-6e3.ser
(No such file or directory)

	uk.co.fresca.struts.subcontroller.UpdateBasketAction.execute(UpdateBasketAction.java:153)
	org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processActionPerform(RequestProcessor.java:421)
	org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.process(RequestProcessor.java:226)
	org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.process(ActionServlet.java:1164)
	org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet.doPost(ActionServlet.java:415)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:717)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
	org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:81)

*note* _The full stack trace of the root cause is available in the
Apache Tomcat/5.5.9 logs._

I'm not pitching the client but I will  be working with the team that builds the store (whomever gets the contract). I am wondering, what's the operating basis for you development guys? Do clients know when carts fail? Is it left up to them to watch for server errors and follow-up with the developers under warranty or maintenance?

I tried a few "live" and 2 of 4 broke, one other showed obvious usability problems. I was surprised.... not sur eif that is a reasonable response these days...

Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com