[nycphp-talk] Zip Code Stuff

Urb LeJeune urb at e-government.com
Mon Jan 22 09:39:29 EST 2007

>There are 8 Zip codes withing a 5 miles radius of 05701
>They are:
>05251 Dorset, VT 0.85 miles
>05701 Rutland, VT 0.00 miles
>05702 Rutland, VT 0.00 miles
>05736 Center Rutland, VT 2.59 miles
>05744 Florence, VT 3.57 miles
>05759 North Clarendon, VT 2.13 miles
>05765 Proctor, VT 4.57 miles
>05777 West Rutland, VT 3.57 miles
>
>Dorset is a lot more than 0.85 miles.  It's really about 25 street miles.

         The program uses longevity and latitude from a commercial zip
code database. It calculates the great circle distance between two sets
of coordinates. The supplied coordinates could be wrong for Dorset or
Rutland. Do the airline distances to the other locations seem
reasonable?

         I'm not sure how the database determines the coordinates for
a specific zip, I would hope they are for the geographic center of
the zip code but I don't know.

         If anyone is interested in this program contact me off list.

         I have a version of this program that will display the distance from
a given zip code to all the countries and the great distance for any
country in the world.

http://njdxa.org/dx-tools/dxcclist.shtml

         As you might suspect I'm a ham radio operator. :-)

         Joe is your computer still for sale? I've send you a couple
of email but
one of us may be getting caught in a filter.

Urb