[nycphp-talk] Intellectual Monday

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 14:10:17 EST 2007

On 1/22/07, Cliff Hirsch <cliff at pinestream.com> wrote:

> I wonder how these techniques work in the PHP world. Does anyone use
> chaining effectively? Is there a PHP equivalent to the prototype concept?

Javascript is an beautiful, powerful language. I never thought I would
say that, and I think Netscape could have done so much more "back in
the day" to produce good documentation and examples. That's what
Prototype, MochiKit, jQuery, et al are finally doing.

Anyway, PHP's object support doesn't really compare. Classes are not
the same as prototypes. And not everything in PHP is an object,
therefore chaining is a kludge at best.

>From the point of view of readability and maintainability, I hope
developers *aren't* trying to replicate Javascript patterns in PHP...

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/