[nycphp-talk] Never heard that term: Viet Nam of programming

Hans C. Kaspersetz hans at cyberxdesigns.com
Wed Jan 24 21:15:20 EST 2007

I believe this is where I will make a fool of myself, but I will give it
a shot anyway.

1. Yes, we scratch built the system in house.
2. Your correct, if we make a change to the schema of the database we
have to represent that change in data model.  If we remove something
from the database and don't reflect that change in the data model the
system complains.  However, this seems like a very small price to pay.
The data model is the representation of all the objects in the system.
If I want to know what is in an object, I go to the data model and check
its relationships and attributes.  The methods for each object are not
in data model, they are defined in the
3. Our system is not zero configuration.  If you want access to
something in the db you have to put it in the data model.  We also have
to configure all our db brokers.

In our system all we have to do is load the parent  object:

$Hans = new Person();
$Hans->SetId($PersonID);
$Hans->Populate();

I now have access to all the objects that $Hans knows about.  If I want
to update Hans:

$Hans->Name = 'Sue';
$Hans->Update();

If the Person object knows about the address object and the address
object knows about the location object (which is all defined in the data
model) I access them by:

$Lattude =  $Hans->HomeAddress->Location->Latitude;

It should be noted that we have ways of defining a name for a
relationship in an object.  So, we might call the address relationship
for the person object HomeAddress and only select home addresses when we
call  $Hans->HomeAddress.  If we called $Hans->Address, if we defined
it, we might get back a set of all of Hans' addresses.  In which case we
have an iterator to go over them.  $Hans->Address[0], $Hans->Address[1],
ect.

The ORM fetches the relations and data automatically.  If we eager
loaded it, it will already be in the object, if we didn't eager load it,
the system makes the sql calls to find it just in time.  We define on a
per relationship level if we are going to eager load or not.  As you can
imagine, eager loading is expensive.

I am truly not the expert here, I am not even sure how it all works on
the inside.  I leave it to those smarter then me to work it out.  What I
can tell you is that it currently works for us.

The blog post by Ted Neward is a very interesting read.  Now I am going
to pay attention to where we fall victim to his assertions.

Hans
http://www.cyberxdesigns.com