[nycphp-talk] Length of variable names

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Tue Jul 3 09:49:44 EDT 2007

Hi!

Is there any (noticeable) difference between using short variable names
and long ones? I rather use variable names such as $firstnamecounter
than just $i, $john, or $doe (I've seen code where the developer used
almost exclusively his first and last name for just about everything).
I try to give each important variable a name that is descriptive and
unique within my project so that I can name the same thing by the same
name across multiple scripts.

I just wonder if I should get used to a different naming convention now
that my projects get more complex.

David