[nycphp-talk] Length of variable names

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Tue Jul 3 20:09:58 EDT 2007

tedd wrote:
  > Hey, let's watch those "old programmer" remarks, because some of us are
> still around. But, you are right about the i, j, k, l, m, n integer
> thing as a legacy from FORTRAN. Oh, those were the good old days when
> programming was more like adventures in key punching. Where you would
> drop off a large stack of IBM cards one day and then pick up a few reams
> of paper the next day with all your key punching errors.

Not any different today. I write some PHP code and need until the next
day to figure out all the runtime errors. ;)
I talked today with a developer and the talk came across functions and
modular code. He thought it is something "new", but I learned about that
20 years ago programming LOGO on the C64. LOGO is a nice language to
pick up the basics, but at least the C64 version was more a NOGO.
Although, the turtle was cute, looked like a triangle...

BUT...back to the original question, does the length of a variable name
have any impact on performance or such?

David