[nycphp-talk] Questions to ask at a job interview?

Urb LeJeune urb at e-government.com
Sun Jul 8 13:29:23 EDT 2007

>>  express the algorithm in PHP or any
>>other programming language.
>
>Huh? That is a mathematical, statistical problem of half-life
>periods. IMHO is not that useful unless providing the logic behind
>it is sufficient as an answer.

         That's easy for you to say :-)

         I'm not asking for a mathematical proof, just a logical proof.

>My objection is about asking for an "efficient solution". I think it
>is much more important to stay with Confucius on this: the way is the goal.

         Again, any non-trivial problem will have multiple solutions.

>  I'd say that someone who gets this requests and asks for a pen and
> paper to draw a picture is already a good candidate.

         What is a picture of this problem?

>Asking for an efficient algorithm and a mathematical approach is
>unfortunately in line how programming gets taught these days.

         I don't think you'll see that when we get to the "ideal" solution.

>  No wonder why people rather get MBAs instead of science degrees.
> Who wants to get beaten with the math stick each and every time?
> Use math and logic if common sense fails.

         Let's assume I buy that approach, which I don't. What is the
logic to solve this
problem?

>Writing the code was somewhat easy after I figured out what I need
>to do and in which order. In my case I also had to sync the changes
>with a database table, so I had to make sure that one thing worked
>before doing the other (I chose to first do the file system stuff,
>then change the db record, but the other way around is as good/bad).

         Many years ago we learned to flow chart a problem before programming.
It is, unfortunately, a dying skill. In the early 1970s Edsger
Dijkstra , one of the
great pioneers of computer science, delivered a paper in which he suggested
that the first programming course in a CS curriculum be taught without a
computer. When I first read the paper I though he was nuts. As time has
passed I am now of the opinion that the may was correct.

         Will anyone take the challenge and give the group an
algorithm to solve
the problem? If you have seen this problem do post it until people
have a chance
to think.

Urb

Dr. Urban A. LeJeune, President