[nycphp-talk] Questions to ask at a job interview?

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyLine) ben at projectskyline.com
Sun Jul 8 21:50:49 EDT 2007

Hey Again,

There's been a ton of great comments...I realize that the questions and
tactics
I used in this interview session may not have been the best, but I have
learned
a lot through this process, and look forward to doing it again in the
future.

Someone mentioned asking the candidate to write a solution to a problem
then walk me through their code ... I like this, and I've had to do it in
the past.
Actually, they just took the source code and told me they would get back to
me.

I guess I wasn't 100% sure what types of questions would be appropriate,
since
this is an intern position, and I don't except too much language specific
knowledge.

I do expect..er want, a smart, hard working person.

"My books are filled with sticky notes sticking out of the pages with dozens
of
things I want to remember."
heh, mine too!

"Someone who aces a programming test because they have memorized a manual is
non necessarily a good problem solver."

Very true.

"Write an algorithm (not language specific code) to do the following:"

That's a good idea ... I may give more thought as too what I will ask as a
problem
solving question in the future. I'll probably do a bit of googling to see
what
others have asked, and been asked.

"BTW, I personally think swapping the contents of two variables without a
temporary variables proves nothing."

True, I guess I just like to see how quickly, and what way, they solve the
problem.
*Any* problem will do I suppose.

Thanks again for all the feedback, its been a pleasure reading the replies.

- Ben

Ben Sgro, Chief Engineer
ProjectSkyLine - Defining New Horizons
+1 718.487.9368 (N.Y. Office)

Our company: www.projectskyline.com
Our products: www.project-contact.com

This e-mail is confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed.