[nycphp-talk] advice on scaling up

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:16:40 EDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Chris Shiflett <shiflett at php.net> wrote:
> I recommend my colleague Theo Schlossnagle's book, Scalable Internet
> Architectures. It addresses these exact types of questions in a "teach a
> man to fish" sort of way.

+1

Also, take a look into memcache, it's not as fast as local caches but
scales well. Created by the guys at facebook, memcache gets plenty of
real-world high traffic exercise ;-)

Also consider two separate mysql groups, one cluster for CRUD ops
(Create/Replace/Update/Delete) and the other (slaves) for reads
(SELECTs).

Chances are, once you get busy with memcache you will start spending
most of your time dealing with the database itself; and having a
separate cluster optimized for SELECTs makes the job a lot easier.

-- Mitch