[nycphp-talk] Online POP3 and SMTP account creation using PHP

Max Gribov max at neuropunks.org
Fri Jul 20 13:46:23 EDT 2007

Shadab Wadiwala wrote:
> Hello friends,
>
> I m working on a minor project using PHP/MySQL in my college.
> I have been assigned a tough task to do.
> The project is a web-based email service on the lines of Yahoo Mail
> and Gmail.
>
> Actually I need to create an online POP3 account and an SMTP account
> of an end-user in the email server using PHP.

This implies that both POP/IMAP and SMTP server share same backend for
authentication/storage - LDAP or SQL would be easiest because you can
easily change those in PHP.

There are plenty of documents describing how to set something like this
up. This sounds like 50% programming project and 50% sysadmin project.

Good luck.