[nycphp-talk] Online POP3 and SMTP account creation using PHP

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sat Jul 14 17:03:41 EDT 2007

Shadab Wadiwala wrote:
> Hi all,
>

>    Well , I suppose the people on the community are still not clear with
> my question. So let me make it clear ....
>
> I mean if somebody registers with my email service..... then his/her
> POP3 and SMTP accounts should be created automatically in the email
> server ..... like as they r created on YahooMail and Gmail or ant other
> web-based email service without the intervention of the admin.

So you want to make a user interface using PHP that creates an account
on your mail server. Right? In that case, I wonder why you need MySQL...

OK, so for which mail server do you want to create the user interface?
Or do I still not get it?

> Also Mr. David suspected that is this a minor project and wondered why
> not its  a major project !!
> So well, this is really a minor project as there is nothing special
> about building an email service as far u r clear how our application is
> going to communicate with the email servers.

So, if it is nothing special, why do you ask for help?

> Also someone asked to share the degree i will be getting upon completing
> my graduation !!
> So well, i would always like to share it with NYPHP ....
> I would awarded the degree of ------  Bachelor of technology  (B.Tech)
> in  IT upon completion of my graduation.
> Its equivalent to a BS degree earned from a US University.

I think that was just a clever way of telling you that if it is your
study project you are expected to figure it out / learn about it
yourself rather than to ask others for the solution. So, is it really
the same like a BS from a US university? 3/4th of the courses are like
history, language, and sports and only 1/4th is about your major?
</exaggeration>

Regardless of that, I for my part don't have any reservations against
helping you out. I don't even want half or your degree or such. But,
before I speculate any longer, first create clear specifications.
1. What is this gizmo supposed to do in general?*
2. Which tools do you want / have to use?
3. What are all the other prerequisits and limitations?
4. What are the individual functions you need to implement?
5. How are the individual functions supposed to work?
6. What is the required input and expected output of each of these
functions?

* Describe this without stating "has to work like GMail" or similar
comparisons that are not nutritious at all. I have no clue how GMail
works, I only know that it works.

If you have written detailed and revised answers to all these questions
80% of your work is done. The remaining 20% are 10% for coding and 10%
for documenting your code. I have no problem in helping you with the 10%
of the coding to the best of my abilities (which aren't that great,
sorry), the rest of it is your task.

So, and with that I already did 5% of the first 80% for you. Here is
your plan of action, get working...at least this is how I got my
technician certification as well as my BSEE and MSTM degrees.

David