[nycphp-talk] Should PHP5 be used for this?

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 12:06:44 EDT 2007

My apologies, the web browser decided to send prematurely on that one.

Hello all,

I've been on this list for a few years now reading, and attribute much of my
knowledge of PHP to users on this list (in one way or another).

I am currently rebuilding my homepage from scratch, which means I have to
redo all the server side code.  Now, traditionally I've built all my web
sites using php4, but I've looked a lot into php5 and its new OOP support.
As a little background, I'm currently a computer science student in college,
and have studied oop to a great deal.

Here's my problem : I don't see how using php5 and oop would really benefit
me in building websites.  I understand objects, code reusability and all
that.  So I'm going to put the areas of my site here, and see how you guys
would build objects for them.

I have these sections:
News
Portfolio
Code (samples of code that I've written, for resume-type purposes)
Tutorials
Contact
About Me

At first glance, I thought to object-ify the portfolio section, where each
"project" would be an object.  But other than that, I don't see anywhere on
the site to use objects, and I could easily do that without objects.

I'd like to expand my resume by being able to say that I have done OOP in
php5, as I see on the jobs list that that is what employers are looking for
(at least quite a few are).

In addition, I was wondering what your suggestions are for php5 and oop, I
don't need an oop introduction or anything like that, I'd just like some
examples of how using objects would make the site better and how to
structure them.

Thanks in advance,

--
Brian O'Connor