[nycphp-talk] Should PHP5 be used for this?

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 13:19:15 EDT 2007

> Hope my last email was received more as playful than annoying.  I
> figured you had done what I've done too many times in the past and just
> sent a message before it was ready to go out.  Happens to all of us.

Yes, I took it as a playful response to my mistake, I laughed :)

Thanks to everyone who has responded so far, I was thinking of looking at
CakePHP already so this is just more reason to do so.

I think more of my problem is when I see potential objects, I see more code,
and more work to accomplish the same goal.

I think when I said PHP5 in my previous post, I really meant OOP.  I can
switch to PHP5 without using OOP, which isn't my problem.  It's more
migrating toward the OOP approach to web development.  My problem is as of
now, when I see a task, and I think of how to do it with objects, I see more
code and more obstacles than just placing it in the file (not even
necessarily a function), and more work, for nice, but not essential
benefits.

Someone I develop with created a good User class that I've been looking at,
and I feel that's a good example of something to use an object for.  Other
examples that I could look into would be very helpful.

On 7/17/07, Allen Shaw <ashaw at polymerdb.org> wrote:

> Brian O'Connor wrote:
> > Here's my problem : I don't see how using php5 and oop would really
> > benefit me in building websites.  I understand objects, code reusability
> > and all that.  So I'm going to put the areas of my site here, and see
> > how you guys would build objects for them.
> >
> > I have these sections:
> > News
> > Portfolio
> > Code (samples of code that I've written, for resume-type purposes)
> > Tutorials
> > Contact
> > About Me
> >
> > At first glance, I thought to object-ify the portfolio section, where
> > each "project" would be an object.  But other than that, I don't see
> > anywhere on the site to use objects, and I could easily do that without
> > objects.
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Hope my last email was received more as playful than annoying.  I
> figured you had done what I've done too many times in the past and just
> sent a message before it was ready to go out.  Happens to all of us.
>
> You're getting good advice from others already on the OOP questions.
> It's time to move on from PHP4, and rebuilding a site sounds like the
> perfect opportunity.  A personal site can also be a great chance to
> experiment with new concepts.
>
> - Allen
>
> --
> Allen Shaw