[nycphp-talk] Should PHP5 be used for this?

csnyder chsnyder at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 14:17:40 EDT 2007

On 7/17/07, Brian O'Connor <gatzby3jr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone I develop with created a good User class that I've been looking at,
> and I feel that's a good example of something to use an object for.  Other
> examples that I could look into would be very helpful.

Yeah, MVC. It works really well to model the HTTP protocol: Users make
Requests for Resources (aka pages), Collections, and Forms in your
Domain.

Beyond modeling HTTP, you have helper classes that add a layer of
abstraction and convenience to your code: Database, Filesystem,
Calendar, Mailbox, Template.

Is it worth doing all of this for a one-off personal website? Well
yeah, if you've studied oo in great detail, you should have access to
some patterns that will make it easy to write the code.

But if you don't want to put that much time into it, use one of the
many frameworks that have already been suggested, and just see what oo
"feels" like in this context. That should be good enough for a resume
entry, anyway.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/