[nycphp-talk] [OT] FORMS

Nicholas Hart nhart at musicpf.org
Thu Jul 19 11:20:24 EDT 2007

   Hi,

I am looking for the easiest way to put an existing form (PDF) on the
web for very non-tech users to fill out.  Currently we have a form
that is downloaded as a PDF and mailed back to us.  I need to make the
online version as similar as possible to filling out the existing form
so our users don't get confused.  For the final submit, the data will
be saved to our DB and the full form will be printed as a PDF for the
users records.

The way I see it there are two parts to this process:
1. Filling in the form:
I have taken a Word.doc version of this PDF form and saved it as
HTML.  I don't know if I can trust this layout for all browser and OS
versions.  Are there better ways to convert word to html?  How do
other sites handle this?

2. Saving data and printing filled out PDF for user records:
Is there a php library that allows me to place fields in an existing
PDF which does not have any embedded field names?  This would allow
users to save the completed PDF to their hard drives which would be
helpful.

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions or references to existing
sites, it would be much appreciated.  I'm looking to get started on
the right foot with this.  Thanks.

Regards,
Nicholas Hart

link to PDF: https://www.mptf.org:75/docs/TF2.pdf