[nycphp-talk] Oh... Interviewing

CED Consult at CovenantEDesign.com
Sat Jul 21 10:39:42 EDT 2007

David,

I agree with everything you've written, and we certainly did discuss some of
the questions I had on there, a complete background was:

That this candidate had started his career in a VERY different industry
He then moved into some project management positions within IS, which were
difficult to tell form his resume what the technical level was.
He had noted several 'projects' that he claimed were enterprise level, but
didn't seem to be what I consider enterprise level, and certainly not for
this position.

So here I was thinking, "Wow, we just touched on all of this on the NY
forum, I can't tell if this would be offensive or if it would be expected."
So I told him I'd be offering him an exam that I felt would be a challenege
to most candidates, but due to the variety of his resume I felt it necessary
to help me gauge really where he was at. After all I'm responsible for
millions not hundreds, and this particular position is VERY high-level. He
seemed total fin with the idea... until he saw the questions... So that was
when I thought I'd come to the forum...

I do plan on reaching out to him again, just to hopefully help to clarify
with him where I'm coming from and the highly technical need of the
position; as well as to continue some of the informal conversations (Which
is where I'm hoping to learn the most). I guess the bottom line is I have
been smoothed talked a lot in my earlier years, and have grown well beyond
that. I know what I want in a mid-level and entry-level guy; but I'm also
far more clear on what I want in a super-guru. I thought that my approach
covered the gammit, but apparently some here think I'm just a big
peepee-head.

-Edward