[nycphp-talk] Removing Text from an Input Box

CED Consult at CovenantEDesign.com
Wed Jun 6 21:03:33 EDT 2007

Andy's two functions cover it all, just make a third function that sets type. Although I'm not sure if changing the fields type will reveal the characters or not, it should.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andy Dirnberger
  To: 'NYPHP Talk'
  Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 8:53 PM
  Subject: RE: [nycphp-talk] Removing Text from an Input Box

  <input value="Display Value" onfocus="clearText (this);" /> is a bit more complete.

  Or <input value="Display Value" onfocus="clearText (this);" onblur="restoreText (this);" /> can replace empty values with your label.

  <script type="text/javascript">

    function clearText (el) {

      if (el.defaultValue == el.value) el.value = "";

    }

    function restoreText (el) {

      if (el.value == "") el.value = el.defaultValue;

    }

  </script>