[nycphp-talk] All In the Game of PHP

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 14 01:26:34 EDT 2007

Caution: I am not a good coder. That said....

Peter Sawczynec ps-at-sun-code.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

>The number one muck up I have observed in coding, is programmers
>creating functions or tools that leave off the final "else" clause at
>the
>end of a conditional logic tree.

The first thing I define when I create a control flow structure is the
default condition. Set it up with the test and empty brackets, set the
default action, and then go back to fill it in.

>Every function you write, every tool you develop has to be prepared to
>accept and deal with wrong information or input out of your expected
>bounds.

A strict default action can go a long way towards letting you code what you need now to make progress, while leaving the rest for later. I see too many coders take all day to try and accommodate everything when all we needed was A and B (for now).

Code the default case. Protect against anything that is not what is expected for A and B, then code A and B and move on.

Sure it will fail for tons of situations, but it will never let you down for A or B (and that is what I asked for ;-)

-=john

Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com