[nycphp-talk] Questions to ask at a job interview?

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyline) ben at projectskyline.com
Thu Jun 28 09:05:59 EDT 2007

Hello all,

So, once again, depending on the actual job description, I might take some ugly code (in any real work environment, there should be no shortage of that :), print it out, and give the candidate a pad and a pen, or a text editor, and say "Clean this up.  I'll be back in 20 minutes."

That's a great idea. Our first product (wasn't meant to ever be realesed heh) is a mess. If the candidate could manage to navigate through it and improve it, I would be impressed.

Also check with HR to find out what you are *not* allowed to ask, anything that could be construed to be a basis for discrimination like age.

We don't have HR, but I will keep it pretty technical and not personal...besides asking what
their personal interests are.

If you like somebody and think they will work out, ask them to come back and invite in 2 or 3 of their potential coworkers and have a short brainstorming session on a problem you have at the moment.  See what they contribute.

That's a great idea. The position is for a coder, but I let candidates know in my post and on the phone
that there would be times when they might deal with customers, work an account, provide insight
to larger projects, be writing CL scripts, etc. It's a many hats position, because we are a small company
and have lots to get done. I know that this may not work, so based on their performance, I can
place more of their time onto things they a) enjoy doing b) do well (which probably are related).

As for questions, its good to have a formal test you ask them to take, but interviewing is an art you can only get good at with practice.

This will be the first time the tables are turned. I've never conducted an interview before.

Thanks for the feedback.

- Ben

Ben Sgro, Chief Engineer
ProjectSkyLine - Defining New Horizons