[nycphp-talk] Questions to ask at a job interview?

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyline) ben at projectskyline.com
Thu Jun 28 11:09:10 EDT 2007

Hello,

Lots of good points.

> In that case you may also consider someone who does PHP development as a
> hobby (like me), but has many other skills such as software QA and support
> experience (like me)....uh, did I just apply for the job? ;)
> You can always teach them about objects and classes later if they got the
> basics down such as loops, conditions, and such.

This is exactly the role I'm looking to fill in my company.

> uh, did I just apply for the job? ;)

You can if you want! Contact me off list if you are truely interested.

> I was asked once to take a test during an interview. As soon as the HR
> person asked me to do that I no longer wanted that job. Hire me because I
> work well and not because I test well. Knowing a lot doesn't necessarily
> mean that one can do a lot. There is a fine line between knowledge and
> skill and you really want to go for skill more than knowledge. I'm not
> saying that knowing a lot is bad, but I met people with tons of technical
> degress that were challanged by wiring up a simple phone.

I have been asked to solve problems for jobs in the past. One I really
bombed
and still got the job, another I solved well and got the job.

I don't see the point in NOT testing an applicant..I mean..if they're
applying
for a job as a programmer, and part of that is solving problems, I'm curious
to see how they approach "problem solving". I don't care if they get the
answer *right*,
I just want to see their thought process.

> While that is indeed a good exercise it may backfire and make your
> development team look chaotic and disorganized

True, I guess I'd just be curious if they can follow the code, and also
how they could do it better. Point out some mistakes/bad practices.

Thanks for the thoughts!

- Ben

Ben Sgro, Chief Engineer
ProjectSkyLine - Defining New Horizons