[nycphp-talk] When to close a mysql connection

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Thu Jun 28 17:44:29 EDT 2007

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyline) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Doesn't using pconnect take care of this?
> http://us.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-pconnect.php
>
> What's the best implementation?(provide some source if you can...)
>
> - Ben

I currently have the connection stuff inside of an include file. So I
basically would change the line with the mysql_connect to mysql_pconnect
and ditch all the mysql_close lines that I have in my script, since
mysql_close does not close persistent connections. But then again, how
do I close a persistent connection? Uh...found it, the connection gets
dropped automatically by MySQL.

Hmmmmmm, I am not really convinced that this is as good as it sounds.
Especially in my current project I allow the active work frame to be 24
hours before I force users out (will make that configurable later). I
must then set the MySQL timeout to at least the same value, which
potentially could cause that MySQL holds many connections.

Yea, what is the best implementation?

David