[nycphp-talk] [OT] Yet another CSS Question

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:15:49 EST 2007

Rolan Yang rolan-at-omnistep.com |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

> For the past 3 days, I have treaded through css hell converting a site
> from nested tables to non-table css. There were issues with background
> colors not showing through, columns not lining up, padding and margins
> on boxes are handled differently between IE and Firefox and various
> DTD types, quirks mode vs nonquirks??, phantom rows appearing from
> nested div's with multiple floats in IE, and a myriad number of other
> browser incompatibilities/bugs.
>
> All this was a result of some twisted desire to make table rows
> drag+drop resortable with dom/javascript magic.
>
> After all the CSS quirks were addressed, I discovered that the
> scriptaculous drag+drop functions would slow down or  lock up the
> browser when there were too many elements to sortable. Ugh. Now, I'm
> working on writing my own leaner drag and drop script which will
> hopefully run more quickly. They say what doesn't kill you makes you
> stronger. I'm not sure if I am any stronger, but I did lose a few
> handfuls of hair in the process.
>
> ~Rolan

That sounds a lot like what I call a "development project"

-=john andrews

Your web server traffic log file is the most important source of web business information available. Do you know where your logs are right now? Do you know who else has access to your log files? When they were last archived? Where those archives are? --John Andrews Competitive Webmaster and SEO Blogging at http://www.johnon.com