[nycphp-talk] Friendly URL, Ajax, and SEO

Kenneth Downs ken at secdat.com
Thu Mar 8 09:03:59 EST 2007

Lately I'm wondering about best designs when balancing things like a
friendly URL, Ajax, and SEO.  It seems there are some contradictory
indications.

First, friendly URLs are great if for no reason than log analysis.

However, friendly URLs are supposedly better for SEO also (besides all
the other stuff for SEO).

The rub is that I'd like to start moving over to AJAX for CMS-related
stuff, such as loading a news article when the user clicks on a
headline. But this seems like it make the site very search engine
un-friendly.

Anybody care to comment on the problem as a whole?  Is it an either/or
choice?