[nycphp-talk] Microsoft Access application conversion recommendations

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Fri Mar 9 20:22:23 EST 2007

Timothy Boyden wrote:
> Perhaps I need to clarify some...
>
> The Access database is just a front-end to an MS SQL server.
>
> Some issues that this causes: it is not cross-platform; it is not
> accessible outside the corporate network; the presentation is
> intertwined with the logic making it difficult and time consuming to
> update features; the application has not been refreshed to keep up with
> current Microsoft technologies and as such parts of the code keep
> breaking as Microsoft obsoletes older parts of the VB and ASP languages.
>
> Budget constraints dictate that we make do with the resources that we
> have available to us. As such, adding Terminal Server infrastructure or
> purchasing a dedicated hosting service is not in the cards. From a
> security standpoint we’re not comfortable exposing the current MS SQL
> server on the web, and we don’t have a server we can dedicate at this
> time to put out in the DMZ for this project. Plus we’re not sure how
> well our internet connection would scale as this app grows, we’re not
> really setup for web hosting on our own. We already have the Network
> Solutions hosting in place and run other applications on there that this
> application would integrate with, as such it would be ideal for us to
> build it on this existing infrastructure. This application isn’t our
> entire business but it does serve to glue a few other main line apps
> together to automate some functions of our business.
>
> I’m not saying this app needs to be completed tomorrow, but anything
> that would help make the process go faster would be great.

I'd just start from scratch and use the new web based system for new
stuff and the old system for legacy stuff. There is a transition time
while two systems are in use, which sucks big time, but it depends on
how quickly records gets obsoleted overall.
Starting from scratch allows you to do things differently that do not
work that great in the current system (believe me, there are things like
that in every system). Since CRM data is usually the most interesting,
I'd see that you isolate that information and device a one time import
plan, e.g. via csv and some one time use code that sucks that all into
the MySQL database (if code is even needed). Doesn't SQL server export
SQL directly?
My point is to foremost forget about the old system and make a new shiny
one. Then see on how to get old data ported over, ideally the least
amount with which you can get away with.

Just the 2€ from someone who never did anything like this....

David